Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to completely put your life on hold while you cleanse. Our juice cleanses are designed to be convenient and gentle enough to not interfere with your daily life. With that said, keep in mind that during your cleanse your body will be going through a major “clean-up,” so we have developed a list of healthy lifestyle tips to go along with that. These recommendations are not limited to cleansing – they’re positive changes to incorporate into your everyday life. But first, the following is a short list of tips for maximizing the benefits of your cleanse.
- Order of the juices: We have numbered the bottles of the juices in the order in which should be consumed. Drink juice No. 1 for breakfast and have another juice approximately every two hours throughout the day. Follow it as best you can. If you desire to switch the order, feel free to do so. The most important thing is that you commit to drinking the six juices at some point throughout the day. If you’ve ordered additional drinks in our custom U-Pickpac™, feel free to supplement these juices in addition to your standard 6 juices/day.
- Shake bottles well before enjoying.
- Listen to your body: If you do not finish certain juices, you have the freedom to do so. However, the more you flush yourself with these bottles of joy, the more cleansing will take place. In addition, you will likely feel more full or satisfied if you consume what is provided. Follow the protocol as best you can.
- Spicing things up: If you desire, feel free to add in fresh ginger, cayenne pepper, and/or fresh lemon to any of the juices.
- Chew your juice? Absolutely! This is critical as digestion begins in the mouth when enzymes in the saliva begin to break down and absorb certain nutrients. This is true whether it’s food or juice. In addition, we never want to gulp down fresh juice. This can cause unwanted gas and bloating. And, your body won’t absorb as much of the benefits if that happens. So, take your time, swish the juice around in your mouth, and be kind to your belly!
- Exercise: Because of its ability to uproot toxins and jump-start your system, light-to-moderate exercise is encouraged while cleansing. At the same time, cleansing is a time when your body is focused on healing so you should try to refrain from engaging in activities that excessively strain it. This is a great example of when to listen to your body.
- Be sure to enjoy plenty of rest and relaxation.
Drink purified water (lots of it).
As your body cleanses, toxins are released into the bloodstream. The more water you drink, the faster these toxins will be flushed out of your system. The water you drink should be purified (why flush impurities out of your body while simultaneously adding more?).
Keep in mind that with bottled water, many brands are no better or healthier than ordinary tap water. In addition, the plastic used to produce water bottles may also be made of toxic chemicals that have been proven to contaminate the water product. And while our bodies are healthiest at an internal pH of 7.2, most bottled water tests have tested “acidic.” Drinking acid water further contributes to an acid internal environment, which can lead to disease.
As far as home filtration systems go, some of them are great at removing toxins such as chlorine and fluoride and heavy metals such as arsenic. Still, we found that the best solution is to invest in a water ionizer/filter. A countertop system is available for around $699. If that’s an investment you aren’t quite ready to make, portable water filters do an adequate job of filtering toxins from the water while maintaining an alkaline balance.
Note: What you drink from is as important as what you drink. If you can, buy a stainless steel or glass bottle to drink from and refill.
Get plenty of sleep.
Getting adequate sleep is of utmost importance. It is when we sleep that our bodies begin to heal themselves and when our brains organize and store information in long-term memory. Cleansing is hard work on the body and requires energy. For most people this means getting the recommended 7-8 hours per night. The important of this cannot be overstated.
Get a shower filter.
As we shower, our skin is absorbing water – practically 8 ounces, equal to one glass! But if that water is full of chlorine, fluoride, VOC’s and traces of heavy metals, then your skin is absorbing those toxins as well. A good shower filter – around $50 – will help filter water before it even reaches your skin. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Evaluate all of your personal care products.
Soap, shampoo, makeup, lotion, and deodorant: these products make us clean and beautiful, but most of them contain sodium lauryl sulfate and other harsh dyes and chemicals. As you’re probably learning, your skin absorbs everything it comes into contact with. Read the labels and become conscious of the ingredients. For example, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is used as a foaming agent in most commercial shampoos and has been linked to skin irritations, menstrual problems, infertility, and even certain types of cancers. Many deodorants contain aluminum (a heavy metal), which readily gets absorbed by the skin and toxifies the body.
While some may find it’s irrational and unreasonable to eliminate all of these products from your life, we encourage you to choose more natural products. Ideally, you should be able to recognize each and every ingredient on the packaging. Since most things applied to the skin are almost entirely absorbed into the body, a good general rule of thumb is if you can’t eat it, then you shouldn’t put it on your skin. Personal care products we recommend include Dr. Bronners and Aubrey Organics.
Try doing a Colonic Hydrotherapy (if possible).
Did you know that the average person–one who is not overweight nor is noticeably allergic to things–has 10-25 lbs of dried, impacted fecal matter in their colons? For most of us, a diet fraught with highly processed foods for which our bodies are not yet evolved to handle, is usually the culprit. And as you can imagine, an impacted colon doesn’t contribute to robust health. At best, it’s highly poisonous junk sitting idle. At worst, it could spell numerous health conditions for which most of us are unaware. So for what it’s worth, there’s no better time than when you’re cleansing to get a colonic hydrotherapy. Surprisingly, the process of using water to gently excrete built-up junk is easy, painless and invigorating. In fact, most people who have done them before look forward to the experience.
Take a breather.
Nothing invites stress better than telling someone not to stress! We realize it’s much easier said than done. But stress weakens your immune system and can lead to insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, heart disease, depression, weight gain, headaches, moodiness and much more. If you can, set just 20 minutes aside each day to try meditation techniques or the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). At a minimum, try to practice not reacting to the events (or those certain people) in our everyday lives. While you cannot completely control things that happen to you, you can completely control your reaction. This takes practice and a bit of skill, but for anyone who’s mastered it, it’s life changing. If you need some guidance, we highly recommend “U-Cure” CDs developed by Dr. Leonard Coldwell. Dr. Coldwell has used these techniques himself to help over 35,000 cancer patients, which in itself is proof of the power of stress reduction. Reducing stress also increases the quality of your sleep, helps you maintain ideal weight and significantly reduces free-radicals.
Negate electro-magnetic frequencies (EMFs).
As we live in an ever-increasingly digital world, our bodies are constantly bombarded with invisible EMF’s emitted by electronics, computers, wireless modems and routers, cell phone devices and towers, power lines and satellites. When these EMF’s hit our bodies, they overpower weaker electrical brainwaves and nerve impulses, resulting in low-grade chronic stress and fatigue. However, EMF protectors – in the form of necklaces, pendants, bracelets and rings – may help to render man-made EMF’s less detrimental to our health. This is achieved by reducing the “noise” of certain EMF frequencies to more closely resemble solar EMF’s, which are more natural and cause less stress to the body. Better yet, you can greatly reduce your EMF exposure by temporarily unplugging/turning off any devices in your home that emit a field of radiation including cell phones, computers, and especially routers.
Maintain a positive attitude.
Maintaining a positive attitude is everything. Remind yourself of the big picture: healthy, happy cells equal a happy, healthy body. And live with passion!